Missed me on HLN discussing cool new wireless devices to put in your smart home? No worries, I’ve got the complete list of smart tech I highlighted below:
WeMo Switch = Starting at $49.99 – Available at Belkin.com
· Plug this into your outlet and combined with a free app for your device, this lets you turn any of your electronic devices on or off from inside or outside your home via your phone or tablet.
· Uses your existing Wi-Fi to control your electronics.
· Set schedules for your devices and control them remotely using a mobile internet connection.
· Upgrade to the WeMo Switch Motion and you can control the electronic devices in your home when movement is detected. It detects motion up to 10 feet away.
Nest – $249 + Installation – Available at Nest.com and other retailers
· Instead of leaving your home at a constant temperature (which can be a waste of money as well as energy) Nest learns your schedule and will raise or lower the temperature to suit your needs.
· You can control it from your phone.
· If you teach it to raise and lower itself properly, it can save you up to 20% on your heating and cooling bills.
· Auto-Away is a feature on Nest where you can program it to turn into an energy-efficient Away temperature when you are gone. Nest uses its activity sensors to detect when a person’s nearby or when you’re using Nest. If Nest doesn’t notice you for a while, it can start Auto-Away. That means it’ll turn down your system until your home reaches a minimum or maximum temperature. You choose those temps when you set up your Nest. So, if your minimum Auto-Away temp is 50° and it starts getting colder, Nest will maintain the house at 50° till you get home.
Qualcomm Wi-Fi enabled concept coffee maker – Tech demo, not for sale
· This is a prototype that is being featured at the Qualcomm booth at the Mobile World Congress meeting in Barcelona Spain.
· Brewers will be able to use their tablet to order a cup of coffee without leaving bed ( or the couch).
· You will be able to select the strength, size and brewing time as well.
· The coffee maker will send you alerts when your coffee is finished brewing.